VACANCY: Project Officer – Climate Change Education
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a German Government-owned enterprise with international operations. We implement commissions for the German federal government and other national and international, public and private sector clients. GIZ operates in more than 130 countries worldwide and employs approximately 200,000 staff members worldwide.
GIZ in partnership with the Australia Pacific Climate Partnership Support Unit (APCP) through the Accelerating Climate Education for the Pacific Programme (ACE) is looking for a highly motivated candidate for the following position. The ACE Pacific program will build on existing Australian education program initiatives on climate change in Six Pacific Island countries. The successful candidate will be based with the GIZ, Suva Office.
The selected candidate is responsible for developing and integrating climate change education materials at all levels including primary, secondary and tertiary institutions through the new Australian Pacific Climate Partnership “Accelerating Climate Education in the Pacific “programme (ACE). The Officer will be supporting the planning, implementation and monitoring of education and communication related activities.
In this context, the position holder fulfils the following tasks:
- Assist in liaising with the counterparts in facilitating the programme’s implementation;
- Provide assistance in monitoring and documentation of the programme’s education related results, including a Monitoring and Evaluation Survey to report against indicators;
- Ensures proper communication of results and provision of materials in education (through web pages, newsletter articles, press releases, postal distribution etc.) are communicated to the general public;
- Organize, facilitate and document workshops and trainings relating to teacher education and curriculum development;
- Provide guidance to mapping the new syllabi for schools and teacher training programs, in addition enhance the climate change education curriculum
- Provide technical inputs at national, island, district, and community level on issues related to climate change education and communication, and assist at regional level;
- Assist in the development of awareness, educational and informational materials on climate change-related subjects;
- Perform any other tasks at request of supervisor/s.
Experiences & Qualification
- A Bachelor Degree in Education with a focus on Science, Social Science or Geography aiming at secondary schools OR with a focus on education
- At least 2 years’ experience in the development of awareness materials, curricula, lesson plans, teaching resources and methodologies;
- At least 1 year experience in collecting and reviewing teaching resources and uploading information to web-based platforms;
- Desired experience – experience in facilitating training for trainers and teachers on climate change education
- Experience with an international working environment, is capable of working within an inter-cultural environment
- Excellent office administration and organizational skills and ability to work under minimal supervision
The following skills will be desirable
- Computer proficient in MS applications, especially in MS Word, MS Excel and MS PowerPoint.
- Project management and steering skills
- Excellent analytical and reporting skills
- Excellent communication skills with verbal fluency in English
Remuneration package to commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To source full Terms of Reference of the role, please email: Ms. Salote Dau
All applications including achievement oriented CV with details of three referees and accompanying documents should be sent by email to Ms. Salote Dau, HR Officer on [email protected] or by post/ hand delivered no later than 4.00p.m Friday 16th August 2019 addressed to:
VACANCY – Project Officer – Climate Change Education
Level 3, Module 2, Plaza One, Down Town Boulevard, 33 Ellery Street, Suva
P.O.Box 14041, Suva.
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer.